JD Supra Panama
- JD Supra
- Publication date:
- Dentons (25)
- Littler (4)
- MERITAS - Law Firms Worldwide (3)
- Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP (2)
- Michael Volkov (1)
- K&L Gates LLP (1)
- Ballard Spahr LLP (1)
- Gerald Nowotny (1)
- Ogletree, Deakins, Nash, Smoak & Stewart, P.C. (1)
- Carlton Fields (1)
- Robinson+Cole Data Privacy + Security Insider (1)
- International Lawyers Network (1)
- Eversheds Sutherland (US) LLP (1)
- Panama amends Decree that suspends evictions and implements provisions, for the collection of rental fees for the duration of the State of Emergency due to COVID-19
Through Executive Decree No. 314 of August 7, 2020, published in Official Gazette No. 29087, certain Articles of Executive Decree No. 145 of May 2, 2020, which adopted measures to protect tenants affected by the crisis generated by the COVID-19 pandemic, eviction procedures, sanctions and implementation of restrictions on use by landlords/owners, have been amended.
- Panama: Law that creates the special regime for the establishment and operation of multinational companies for the provision of services related to manufacturing
In the Official Gazette of September 1, 2020, Law 159 of August 31, 2020 (the “Law”) was published, which regulates the special regime for the establishment and operation of multinational companies for the provision of services related to manufacturing ("EMMA").
- Panama: Limitations to the reduction of working hours
Through Executive Decree No. 101 of July 13, 2020, effective as of July 14, 2020, as a result of a tripartite dialogue carried out between the Ministry of Labor of Panama, Trade Unions, and private companies, the Ministry of Labor has regulated that: The maximum limit to agree to reduce working hours will be 50% of working hours per month.
- Panama: Extension of the submission of declarations before the General Revenue Directorate
On May 27, 2020, Executive Decree No. 298 was approved, amending, and adding provisions to Executive Decree No. 251 of March 24, 2020, which adopted tax measures to alleviate the economic impact of the State of Emergency decreed in Panama as a result of COVID-19.
- Extension of submission of reports upon the General Revenue Directorate
By means of Resolution No. 201-2722 of May 20, 2020, (the "Resolution"), some articles of Resolution No. 201-2401 of March 30, 2020, were modified, through which the General Revenue Directorate (DGI by its acronym in Spanish) extended the term for the presentation of certain reports before said entity, due to the State of National Emergency decreed in Panama due to COVID-19.
- Panama: Gradual reopening of companies
According to Executive Decree No. 96 of May 15, 2020, the Ministry of Labor of Panama has ordered that, for the operation and gradual reactivation of companies and/or activities, the employer must complete the digital form on the reactivation of contracts, enabled by the Ministry of Labor on its website.
- Panama releases guide for companies and institutions regarding safe return to workplaces in times of COVID-19
The Ministry of Health, in conjunction with the Social Security Administration, Ministry of Commerce and Industries, Ministry of Economy and Finance, and the Pan American Health Organization, has prepared guidelines to facilitate compliance with health, hygiene and safety measures for companies and public or private institutions that are operating or could be authorized in the future by health authorities to initiate the process of return to workplaces in times of COVID-19 (the "Guide").
- Panama suspends evictions and the charge of leasing fees while the State of Emergency for COVID-19
Through Executive Decree No. 145 of May 2, 2020, published in Official Gazette No. 29015 of May 1, 2020, the Government of the Republic of Panama has adopted measures to protect tenants affected by the crisis generated the by COVID-19 pandemic, from eviction proceedings, penalties and implementation of usage restrictions by landlords/owners.
- Panama: Digital procedures in times of COVID-19
The General Directorate of the Industrial Property Registry (DIGERPI) authorized by Resolution No. 36 of April 30, 2020, the reception of new trademark applications and petitions for procedures for trademark applications already filed and registered by e-mail.
- Panamá: Amendment to Law 59 on immunity due to chronic illness
Through Law 151 of April 24, 2020, Article 4-A was added to Law 59 of December 28, 2005, through which labor protection standards were adopted for people with chronic, involuntary, and / or degenerative diseases causing occupational disability.
- LATIN AMERICA & THE CARIBBEAN: A Legal Guide for Business Investment and Expansion - Panama
1. What role does the government of Panama play in approving and regulating foreign direct investment? The government of Panama plays an important role in attracting foreign direct investment to the country. In addition to being responsible for approving commercial licenses (avisos de...
- Littler Global Guide - Panama - Q4 2019
Effects of Declaration of December 20, 2019, as a National Mourning Day - New Order or Decree - On December 28, 2019, President Laurentino Cortizo and his Cabinet declared December 20, 2019, as a National Mourning Day, in remembrance of the 30th Anniversary of the United...
- Panama - New incentives for forestry activities
Panama has adopted legislation renewing and expanding tax incentives and reimbursements for forestry activities in the country. Law No. 69 of October 30, 2017, creates an incentive program for forest cover and natural forest conservation in Panama, in compliance with the objectives set by the...
- Panama reinstates procedural remedy know as conservatory measures (injunctive relief)
Through Law 119 of December 10, 2019, published in Official Gazette No. 28917-B of December 10, 2019, in force as of such date, Article 569 of the Judicial Code which dealt with injunctive remedy, known in Panama as “conservative or general protection measures”, has been reinstated. Article 569 of...
- The Republic of Panama and the People's Republic of China signed Maritime Transport Agreement
On May 17, 2018, the Maritime Cooperation Agreement (the "Agreement") signed by the Republic of Panama and the People's Republic of China entered into force. The Agreement has as a main purpose to develop a friendly relationship between the two countries and strengthen cooperation in the...
- Teleworking in Panama
Law No. 126 of February 18, 2020 (hereinafter “Teleworking Law”), published in Gazette 28965-A, which establishes and regulates teleworking in the Republic of Panama and modifies an article of the Labor Code, arrives as a legal guarantee in the face of changes in the labor market, in which remote...
- Panama adopts a law to prevent forbid and punish acts of discrimination
The Republic of Panama has recently adopted Law 7 of February 14th, 2018, which regulates all matters related to the protection of the honor, dignity, physical and psychological integrity of individuals who are victims of acts of discrimination....
- Labor measures regarding COVID-19 in Panama
According to Resolution No. 11 of March 13, 2020, the Cabinet Council has declared a state of national emergency in the Republic of Panama, as a consequence of COVID-19. The Government through its different branches, has issued a handful of Executives Decrees in order to authorize and order...
- New Immigration Regulations in the Republic of Panama
The Republic of Panama recently adopted Executive Decree No. 521. The decree annuls the visa requirement to enter the Republic of Panamá to every person who has a visa or a valid residence, duly issued by Canada, United States of America, Commonwealth of Australia, Republic of Korea, Japan, United...
- Panama: The use of tax equipment is temporarily excepted as a consequence of sanitary measures established nationally
To who does it apply: All taxpayers, natural or legal persons, who maintain fiscal equipment or other billing systems as a means to document their income. Temporary exceptions: To the use of fiscal equipment or any other billing system throughout the national territory, to...